Friday, October 26, 2012

FR. ACONG ON MY MIND



Note: I found this piece in my digital file. Let me share with you.

26 December 1974: I will always associate Fr. Acong Sevilla to that night 34 years ago when I knocked at the Sevilla residence at the “Short Cut” in Lucena City and requested him to help me escape from two armed men who were pursuing me. He was seated on what looked like a rocking chair and he swiftly got up after hearing my reason for coming to his place.

Both of us rushed to his jeep parked by the road. He started the engine and promptly asked me where I would like to go.

For a moment, I could not speak. Then I managed to squeak out the name of the place where I would like to pick up a friend and our clothes and other personal stuff. I guess his calmness sought my frayed nerves and I managed to tell him bits and pieces of the story; how two young men blocked my path while I was walking on the road beside the Lucena Elementary School in Iyam district, in front of our high school; how the two walked with myself in the middle; and how I felt the nozzle of a gun on the left side of my body; my swift decision to parry the gun and free myself from their hold.

The two young men ran after me, but I managed to elude them or, probably, they would not want to risk getting notice by the neighborhood. I was able to reach my relative’s home and told the family what had happened. I decided to leave so as not to involve the family and a young boy volunteered to accompany me in the dark until I reached the main road.

Still no sign of the two young men, but I had the feeling they were just observing from a distance. I rode in a passenger jeepney and to ensure I would not be followed, I got off after the Iyam bridge and followed the familiar unlit and stony path leading to the Sevilla home. In fact, I remember I ran unmindful of the barking dogs.

Looking back to this incident, which I did many, many times during the last three decades, I had the same feeling of relief that Fr. Acong, at that moment of extreme anguish, did not hesitate to help me and a friend find ourselves out of a difficult situation. 

We were being pursued like rats on account of what we stood for at that time against what we perceived as injustice committed against our people and the more than thirty of our friends who had been persecuted and just disappeared without a trace.

By extending help at a time when we needed it most, Fr. Acong demonstrated what it meant to be a shepherd to his flock, including those who had strayed off the path. When my friend and I finally decided to leave the underground, two weeks after Fr. Acong brought us to a safe haven, you can doubtless say his singular act of kindness had influenced for the most part that crucial decision. ####

 Nestor M. Pestelos
Kuching, Malaysia
28 January 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment